print logo
Main Content Anchor

Upward Mobility

The State of California's Upward Mobility program is a career mobility program designed to give state employees in low-paying occupations an opportunity to advance to entry-level technical, professional, and administrative positions. Low-paying occupations are classifications in the following occupational groups: Custodian or Domestic Services, Horticulture, Mechanical or Construction Trades, and Office and Allied Services. Each state agency is required to have an active Upward Mobility program.

If you are a state employee in a low-paying occupation and interested in participating in the Upward Mobility program, please contact your department's Upward Mobility Coordinator.

Departments are encouraged to review and incorporate the contents of the Guidelines for Administering Departmental Upward Mobility Programs into their Upward Mobility guidelines as part of their obligation to develop an effective Upward Mobility program.  

As required by Government Code section 19402 and California Code of Regulations, title 2, section 599.985, departments must track and report their Upward Mobility program efforts to CalHR annually by the 1st of June as part of their Annual Workforce Analysis.  Departments are required to report their annual Upward Mobility efforts by providing the following: a list of identified Upward Mobility classifications used by their department, the number of employees participating in the Upward Mobility program, the number of employees expected to progress from positions in low-paying classifications to entry-level technical, professional, and administrative positions, and to set annual Upward Mobility goals. Inquiries regarding reporting Upward Mobility efforts through the Workforce Analysis should be sent to​


​​Legal Authority and References

Upward Mobility: Government Code Sections 19401, 19402 can be found at: under Government Code and California Code of Regulations §§ 599.981, 599.982, 599.983, 599.984, 599.985 and 599.986 can be found at: Office of Administrative Law at:

​Contact Us

For questions regarding the contents of this page, please contact​​​​​​​​

Supporting Page
Link Back to Top