print logo
Main Content Anchor

Optional Benefits and Services

Savings Plus 401(k) and 457

Savings Plus administers a 401(k) Plan and a 457 Plan. These plans are available to employees of the State of California or the California State University (CSU) who are eligible for membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), the Legislators' Retirement System, or the Judges' Retirement System.

You can build a retirement savings account using automatic, pre-tax payroll deductions that you invest in investment options offered in the Savings Plus portfolio. You may elect to contribute pre-tax or Roth.

More Information on Savings Plus and Online Enrollment

ScholarShare 529 College Savings Plan

Investing in the future of your loved ones, including yourself, is important. ScholarShare, the state-administered 529 college savings plan, provides families with a tax-advantaged way to deposit after-tax contributions to save for future college expenses. Earnings, if any, are tax-deferred and disbursements, when used for tuition and other qualified higher education expenses, are federal and state tax-free.

 More Information on ScholarShare 529 College Savings Plan or Open a New Account

Public Service Loan Forgiveness
through the U.S. Department of Education

If you are employed in certain public service jobs and have made 120 payments on your Direct Loans (after Oct. 1, 2007), the remaining balance that you owe may be forgiven. Only payments made under certain repayment plans may be counted toward the required 120 payments. You must not be in default on the loans that are forgiven.

More Information on Public Service Loan Forgiveness through the U.S. Department of Education

Direct Deposit

Direct Deposit is a convenient method to automatically deposit your net earnings into the financial institution of your choice. Once you enroll, all of your paychecks are transferred to your financial institution.

This includes regular pay and supplemental pay, such as overtime.

Each State department has the option of establishing its own eligibility requirements. For example, departments' may elect to establish a minimum leave balance criteria to ensure that participant absences can be covered with compensable time.

Please contact your Personnel Payroll Office to determine your eligibility or if you have additional questions.

Direct Deposit form

Pre-Tax Parking

Employees may elect to participate in this voluntary program that allows for the withdrawal of a specific dollar amount for work-related parking fees from their pay warrant. The transaction occurs prior to tax deductions, resulting in a reduced taxable income.

There are three types of Pre-Tax Parking Programs:

  • Department of General Services
  • Office of Fleet Administration; department-sponsored
  • Third Party Reimbursement.

If you have questions on Pre-Tax Parking or wish to determine which program fits your specific needs, contact your department's Personnel Office.

Pre-Tax Parking Reimbursement Account Program

Enrollment Form

Claim Form

Annual Leave

Employees have a choice of either the traditional sick/vacation or annual leave. Annual leave allows for the replacement of traditional vacation and sick leave credits with more versatile leave credits.

In addition, the program provides an improved Non-Industrial Disability Insurance (NDI) benefit to 50% income replacement with the option of replacing 75% or 100% of income by supplementation of earned leave credits for certain employees.

Please review your collective bargaining agreement for other benefits offered under this program (Also review vacation leave). Excluded employees should refer to the "Compensation Plus" publication (available at your department's Personnel Office).

If you have questions on the Annual Leave Program, contact your department's Personnel Office.

More Information on Annual Leave

Annual Leave Form

Long-Term Disability (LTD) Insurance

 Excluded State employees may enroll in Long-Term Disability Insurance, which provides income replacement in the event you become disabled due to an illness or injury and cannot perform your normal job duties for six months or longer.

This benefit is available to permanent employees appointed to managerial, supervisory, confidential, and other excluded positions with a time base of half time or more.  Newly eligible employees have a 60-day period in which to enroll.  Open enrollment period is also held every 18 - 24 months.

If you have questions on Long-Term Disability Insurance and your qualifications, contact your department's Personnel Office.

More Information on Long-Term Disability Insurance (LTD)

LTD Insurance Form

Long-Term Care (Continuous Enrollment)

You and your eligible family members (i.e., spouses, parents, parents-in-law, step parents, adult children, adult siblings (including stepbrothers and stepsisters), grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, and in-laws between the ages of 18 and 79) may apply to the Long-Term Care (LTC). 

The California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) operates the program for coverage that may be needed due to a chronic illness, frailty of old age, or a serious accident.  Care may be provided at home, in an assisted living facility, or in a nursing home.  The CalPERS LTC is now accepting applications for long-term care coverage and premiums are based on a person's age at time of application.  All current and former State employees (including retirees) and their eligible family members are eligible to apply. 

To learn more about CalPERS LTC coverage options and to download or request an application kit, visit the program website or speak to a program representative at 1-(800) 908-9119.

CalPERS Website

Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)

Under the federal Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA), employees and dependents that lose their health, dental, or vision coverage due to certain "qualifying events" are allowed to continue their coverage for a specified period of time.

The cost to the enrollee is 102% of the applicable group premium rate. Benefits provided under COBRA are the same as those provided under the State-sponsored plans.

More Information on COBRA

COBRA forms (listed by program)

Group Legal Services Insurance Plan

The Group Legal Services Plan is a voluntary, employee-paid plan that provides you with comprehensive legal coverage.

Employees who meet the following criteria are eligible to participate in the Plan: Permanent or probationary with a time base of half-time or more, who are designated rank and file, managerial, supervisory, confidential, and excluded/exempt are eligible to enroll.

Permanent-Intermittent employees who are credited with a minimum of 480 paid hours each six month qualifying control period (ending June 30 or December 31) are also eligible. Departments are responsible for providing new employees with the informational packet. Newly eligible employees have 60-calendar days from the date of hire or time base change to enroll in the plan.

A variety of legal services are available, such as will preparation, legal consultation and representation for domestic matters, defense of civil actions, criminal misdemeanors and traffic charges, bankruptcy proceedings and review and preparation of documents.

Plan members can access services by contacting ARAG's Customer Care Center toll-free 866-762-0972, or TTY (800) 383-4184 or 711 to reach a relay operator (Monday - Friday, 5:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.)

More Information on Group Legal Services Insurance Plan

Address Protection - Safe at Home

The Secretary of State's Office implemented the California Confidential Address Program (CalCAP). CalCAP is a no cost mail forwarding service designed to provide address protection for victims of domestic violence.

If you would like to speak to a representative regarding CalCAP, you may contact the Secretary of State at (916) 653-1769.

More Information on Address Protection - Safe at Home

Home Address Request for Non-Disclosure

An employee may request that his or her home address not be disclosed to specified individuals or organizations. Simply complete the form and give it to your Personnel Office.

Home Address Request for Non-Disclosure Form

Designation of Person to Receive Warrants

State employees may designate a person authorized to receive all warrants (paychecks) upon their death that would have been payable to the deceased employee. It is important to update this information whenever the designee's address changes.

For more information on this process, contact your department's Personnel Office.

Designation of Person to Receive Warrants Form

Employment and Salary Verification

The State of California provides a 24-hour service to verify State employment and salary for employees through "The Work Number".

The Work Number® is the largest provider of automated employment and income verifications in the U.S. Over 1,000 employers contract with The Work Number to provide verifications, including well over half of the Fortune 500.

The service allows employees to provide proof of their employment or income to requesting entities anytime of the day; every day of the year; and benefit from increased efficiency, as well as, the elimination of cumbersome paperwork.

If you have questions, call 1-800-EMP-AUTH (1-800-367-2884) or contact your department's Personnel Office.

More Information on Employment and Salary Verification

Variable Work Schedule

A variable work schedule (also known as Alternate Work Schedule) is an alternative to the regular 5-day, 40-hour workweek, and may be offered at each department's discretion.

A variable work schedule does not change the number of hours worked, but simply gives employees and State departments flexibility to better meet their needs.

There are a few common variable work schedules:

  • The 4/10/40 schedule allows employees to work the required 40-hour workweek in four 10-hour days
  • The 9/8/80 schedule allows employees to work eight 9-hour days and one 8-hour day in a two-week period with one day off every other week
  • Telecommuting (also known as Teleworking) allows an employee, under certain circumstances, to complete their job duties from home - The State encourages the use of telecommuting as an option where management finds that it serves a practical benefit to the agency, such as reducing office-related expenses

It is important to note that Variable Work Schedules are not available at every State department or unit. They are a privilege given based on management policy taking into account overall operational needs.

For more information on Variable Work Schedules, contact your supervisor or your department's Personnel Office.

Authorization to Use Privately-Owned Vehicle on State Business

When you are hired for some specific jobs, it may be required or otherwise an advantage to use your own vehicle for work purposes. In general, use of your private vehicle is permitted to conduct State business.

A form must be completed to comply with State Policy (S.A.M. 0753 and 0754) when approval is requested to use privately-owned vehicles to conduct official State business.

Authorization to Use Privately-Owned Vehicle on State Business Form

Voluntary Personal Leave Program

Certain State departments offer the Voluntary Personal Leave Program (VPLP). This allows employees to continue working their assigned work schedule and receive a pay reduction equal to either one day (8 hours) or two days (16 hours) per month.

Participants will be credited with an equal amount of hours to use in the same manner as vacation or annual leave. It is an innovative way departments can provide additional time off to employees.

Please note: This benefit and its availability is based on specific Bargaining Unit contracts. To find out if you are eligible or if you want more information on the Voluntary Personal Leave Program, contact your department's Personnel Office.

​Supplemental Insurance

If you are enrolled in the State-paid group term life insurance plan, you can purchase additional insurance coverage from MetLife. Under the voluntary supplemental life insurance plan, you may elect coverage in increments of $10,000 up to the lesser of $200,000 or 4 times your basic annual earnings. You have the opportunity to take advantage of the State's group purchasing power by securing significant amounts of supplemental life insurance at competitive rates.

More information on Supplemental Insurance

Supporting Page
Link Back to Top