You are now leaving this website and being directed to the specific California government resource or website that you have requested. CalHR accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of external websites or external documents linked to on this website.
1. Can a state employee request PO/FF retirement plan designation?
No. The employer must seek a PO/FF retirement determination from the California Department of Human Resources.
2. Can a state employee in a PO/FF designated classification or position request a different CalPERS retirement plan; such as miscellaneous retirement?
No. A state employee cannot request a change to his or her retirement plan.
3. Can a state employee who transfers from a PO/FF classification or position to a Non-PO/FF submit a request to retain PO/FF?
No. The employee will be placed into the appropriate retirement plan.
4. Can a PO/FF member voluntarily make Social Security tax contributions?
No. Police and fire employees are exempt from making Social Security tax payments under the Federal and State 218 Agreement and CalPERS laws.
5. How can a state employee verify his or her retirement plan?
A state employee can verify his or her retirement plan by contacting the personnel specialist or accessing the MyCalPERS secure account to review his or her CalPERS retirement information.