Exempt, Excluded, and Represented state of California employees who incur authorized travel expenses related to official state business can apply for reimbursement.
Provisions in Government Code, the CalHR Travel Rules, Policy Memos, and current Memoranda of Understanding are the basis for the information on this page.
Reimbursements for actual business expenses are made in accordance with the IRS requirements for an "Accountable Plan, among other things. An Accountable Plan limits reimbursement to actual expenses, substantiated by receipts or other verification, up to certain limits.
Always verify reimbursement information and effective dates by reviewing the appropriate Memorandum of Understanding
and/or the CalHR Travel Rules.
Policy Memos - Recent PMLs
- PML 2015-003 - Travel/Relocation Programs- Change in the Definition of What May be Claimed as an Incidental
- PML 2014-049 - Travel/Relocation Programs - 2015 Mileage Reimbursement Rate for Use of Personal Vehicle
- PML 2014-031 - Travel/Relocation Programs - Lodging/Per Diem Increases for CAPS (BU 10) and IUOE (BU 13)
- PML 2014-030 - Travel/Relocation Programs - Lodging/Per Diem Increases for CASE (BU 2)
- PML 2013-044 - Travel/Relocation Programs - Excess Lodging Rate Request Form (STD 255C) Revision/Reminder of Reporting Requirements
- PML 2013-043 - Travel/Relocation Programs - 2014 Mileage Reimbursement Rate for use of Personal Vehicle
- PML 2013-037 - Travel/Relocation Programs - Lodging/Per Diem Increases for PECG
- PML 2013-035 - Travel/Relocation Programs - Lodging/Per Diem Increases for CDF Firefighters BU 8
- PML 2013-034 - Travel/Relocation Programs - Lodging/Per Diem Increases for CCPOA, CSLEA, IUOE, UAPD, CAPT, and AFSCME
- PML 2013-026 - Travel/Relocation Programs - Lodging/Per Diem Increases for SEIU, CAHP, PECG, and Excluded Employees
Policy Memos - Older PMLs of Interest
PML 2012-039 - Travel/Relocation Programs - Mileage Reimbursement Rate for Use of Personal Vehicle
- Travel/Relocation Programs - Mileage Reimbursement Rate for Use of Personal Vehicle
- Travel Programs - Verification of Travel Expenses
- Travel/Relocation Programs - Airport Parking Expenses
- Travel/Relocation - Delegation of Excess Lodging Rate Requests, which includes two attachments:
- Attachment A - Excess Lodging Rate Request
- Attachment B - Sample Reporting Format
- PML 2005-051 - Travel and Relocation Programs - Travel Premiums
PML 2005-021 - Travel and Relocation Reimbursements -- Third Party Vendor Lodging Receipt Requirements, which includes this attachment:
- Memorandum to all state Employees - Travel and Relocation Reimbursements - Third Party Vendor Lodging Receipt Requirements
- PML 1993-028 - Travel/Parking/Relocation - Delegations of Authority - Travel Program
- Management Memo 1986-001 - Travel Expenses of Non-state Employees
Travel Reimbursement Forms
For More Information
Please contact the CalHR Travel Manager if you have any questions.