Exempt, Excluded, and Represented State of California Employees who incur authorized expenses related to official State business, including travel, can apply for reimbursement.
Provisions in Government Code, the CalHR Travel Rules, policy memos, and current Memoranda of Understanding are the basis for the information on this page.
Reimbursements for actual business expenses are made in accordance with the IRS requirements for an "Accountable Plan," among other things. An Accountable Plan limits reimbursement to actual expenses, substantiated by receipts or other verification, up to certain limits.
Always verify reimbursement information and effective dates by reviewing the appropriate Memorandum of Understanding
and/or the CalHR Travel Rules.
Policy Memos - PMLs
- PML 2011-050 - Travel/Relocation Programs - Mileage Reimbursement Rate for Use of Personal Vehicle
- PML 2011-044 - Travel Programs - Verification of Travel Expenses
- PML 2006-013 - Travel/Relocation - Delegation of Excess Lodging Rate Requests, which includes two attachments:
- Attachment A - Excess Lodging Rate Request
- Attachment B - Sample Reporting Format
- PML 2005-051 - Travel and Relocation Programs - Travel Premiums
- PML 2005-021 - Travel and Relocation Reimbursements -- Third Party Vendor Lodging Receipt Requirements, which includes this attachment:
- Memorandum to all State Employees - Travel and Relocation Reimbursements - Third Party Vendor Lodging Receipt Requirements
Travel Reimbursement Forms
For More Information
Please contact the CalHR Travel Manager if you have any questions.