Thank you for your interest in the Office Technician (General) and (Typing) Examination. The California Department of Human Resources (CalHR), Selection Division staff is available to assist you from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, at (866) 844-8671. CalHR also provides services to the public at our Job Center located at 1810 16th Street, Sacramento, CA 95811. Click here for additional information.
The Office Technician (General) and (Typing) examination is administered on a continuous basis. Please check the examination bulletin for examination dates and locations. Seats are on a first come first serve basis. Examination filing dates are posted 10 days prior to the scheduling dates. We recommend you monitor the examination bulletin periodically for updates.
The first step in getting a job with the State of California is passing an examination. Review the examination bulletin for the job description to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications to participate in the examination, and obtain written examination information. Examinations are required to obtain eligibility for job vacancies.
1. Create a Profile and for help here for a step by step guide on how to create a profile (please complete your profile before the scheduling date and time).
2. Search for and read the official examination bulletin for information on the Office Technician (General) and (Typing) examination.
3. For a copy of the Office Technician (General) and (Typing) Study Guide please click here.
4. Click on the scheduling link to apply to take the examination. Click here for a step by step guide on how to self-schedule for a written examination.
5. Be prepared to answer questions on your education and work experience.
6. Select a written test time and date.
7. Print your Notice to Appear.
8. View the classification specification for a description of the duties and requirements for the Office Technician classification at http://www.calhr.ca.gov/state-hr-professionals/pages/1441.aspx.
Please check back for future testing dates
*Test locations for other counties are anticipated soon.